Party Favor Etiquette: The Do's and Don'tsPrint
When deciding on the type of party favors to choose from weather it's for a wedding, birthday or baby shower, it is very important that you consider the theme of your event, the number of guests you are inviting, the diversity of the crowd, cost effectiveness, etc. All of these factors should influence your decision on choosing the perfect favors and how to present them. Although there are many non-traditional ways that are acceptable concerning party planning etiquette, there are some do's and don'ts that you must take into account when dealing with party favors. Below you will find a reasonable list of protocol as it relates to choosing and presenting gift favors.
- Do coordinate your favors with the overall theme of your event or party.
- Do set a budget for your party favors and stick as best you can.
- Do provide a favor for every single guest.
- Do incorporate the favors into your party decorating if possible.
- Do order a few extra emergency favors just in case some get damaged during preparation for the wedding.(Or you have some party crashers)
- Do choose a party favor that is unisex.
- Do plan ahead on how you will present these unique favors to your guests.
- Do select a favor that you yourself would enjoy receiving.
- Do select a favor that is special and that reflects the appreciation you have for your guests.
- Don't choose a favor that goes against the theme of your special event.
- Don't be afraid to choose a less expensive favor if the one that you really wanted is too expensive for your budget.
- Don't give a favor for each couple to share. (Tacky)
- Don't choose a party favor that will clash with your unique party décor.
- Don't order just enough favors for each invited guest.
- Don't give a favor to a guest if it is damaged in any way or dirty.
- Don't choose a favor that is gender specific. (Unless it's a Princes Party!)
- Don't forget to designate a special place to set your party favors so that your guests will be sure to receive them.
- Don't give your guests a favor that you would not like to receive.
Party favors are very special in that they are an unspoken way for the hostess to express gratitude to the guests. With this is mind, you must be careful to properly communicate your appreciation. When following the proper protocol, your guests are sure to appreciate the time that you invested in presenting them with a unique and special party favor to remember the special day.